Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Film Fashions · Brooklyn (2015)

I know I'm lagging behind the bandwagon on this one, but I finally saw "Brooklyn"!  It was a wonderful movie* set in 1951-52; I really enjoyed it and the costuming set it apart!  I read a few behind-the-scenes articles and the costumer (Odile Dicks-Mireaux) was super dedicated and knew her stuff.  And it shows.  Almost all of the clothing is original vintage and it's worth watching again for the background characters as well!

I've found myself being drawn toward understated, simple original pieces lately rather than my usual novelty-print "rockabilly" tendencies, so this movie was totally up my alley!  Eilis's wardrobe is fairly small and her style gradually changes throughout the movie.  I love her color scheme and it's something I feel like I could gravitate towards.  Time will tell if there will be a lasting impact upon my personal wardrobe, but I think it's likely I'll add at least a few pieces this year. ;-)

I've been thinking for quite a while about doing a sporadic series on film fashions I adore, so here is the first installment!















































Have you seen Brooklyn yet?  Are you as obsessed as I am?

*Personal caveat for the movie- I do recommend reading content reviews as there is one scene I prefer to skip.*

16 comments:

  1. I'm still waiting to see the movie but it looks really good!
    -Emily

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the costumes in this movie! I really love period movies to see all the great costumes and this one in particular was fantastic. I was swooning hard over that border print skirt the main character wears at the end of the movie! So pretty! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. The costumes look amazing! I have not seen the movie, although I have heard several other people like it, except for one scene.

    Sarah
    www.sewcharacteristicallyyou.com/blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. That pink dress and little hat! I neeeeed them, I say!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've only just seen the film too but that was because I wanted to read the book first, which I would highly recommend. I love how Eilis wears quite ordinary clothes at the beginning but when she returns home she's oh-so-glamorous! The black dress with the white peter pan collar she wears to work is my favourite of hers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES. Adore that dress and collar! Confession time: I recently bought a vintage collar just because it made me feel like Eilis. ;-)

      Delete
  6. I REALLYREALLY want to see this SOOO BADLY. (*sobs*) It looks ridiculously good.

    Also, I really think she - Ellis? - looks like you. I thought that from the first time I saw the trailer, actually. (That was months ago now.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, that's the best compliment ever! Thanks!

      Delete
  7. Oh, I SO want to see Brooklyn!! Especially for the fashions, although the story does look rather cute :) Thanks for sharing <3

    xo,
    -Charlotte
    boyerfamilysingersblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't seen this film yet, but sincerely want to. Aside from the touching story and wonderful mid-century films, I always feel a kinship with things that pertain to Ireland and Irish culture, as I lived in Ireland for a couple of years when Tony and I were first married. So looking forward to catching this film (sooner or later!), too.

    Many hugs,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jessica, I had no idea you lived in Ireland for a few years! Soooo jealous.... And you'll have even more kinship for this movie because the love interest is an Italian named Tony. <3 :-)

      Delete
  9. I haven't seen it yet, but after seeing these images, now I really want to soon! The costumes do look amazing. Sometimes, it seems, I want to watch movies simply because of the costumes :)
    The Artyologist

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have not seen Brooklyn yet, but I want too! Especially after seeing all of the gorgeous costumes which you have shared here Lily. So many beautiful outfits to be inspired by!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I read about this movie and have been watching for it. But it doesn't seem to have had a very wide distribution. The costumes look amazing! Know where I can find it?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved Brooklyn, for both the clothes and the plot/characters. The scene with the homeless guys at Christmas was my personal highlight. I can recommend reading the book too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have not seen "Brooklyn",but the costumes are lovely. Thanks for posting them.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete

 

Copyright © 2013 Mode de Lis . All rights reserved. | Designed by PrairieRoseDesigns.com