Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Wednesday, May 27, 2015

· Perfectly Parisian ·



If you've been following Kathryn's blog, you'll already know that she recently got back from a trip to France!  Yeah, I know.... I'm jealous too.

At any rate, I get to share fabulous pictures of the Eiffel Tower on here too, because she requested a new outfit for the trip! :-)

(For newcomers to the blog- we work on the barter system: she takes photos for my blog, in exchange I sew her clothing. :-)  Check out the "Kathryn" tag for other outfits I've made for her!)


This outfit was inspired by this 1950s Hallmark card and as you can see, it works just as smashingly for posing in front of the Eiffel Tower! ;-)



The red flared dirndl skirt (is flared dirndl an oxymoron?? I think it might be... ;-)) is made from a polished stretch poplin from JoAnns.  It has great body and looks really nice for skirts!  Since it wasn't really clear what the inspiration skirt was doing, I did box pleats like a different skirt Kathryn liked.


There is a pocket (of course!) on one side and the skirt closes with a side zipper.  Hand-picked, of course!  My favorite method for zipper sewing. :-)



It was kind of hard to tell what exactly the inspiration's collar was doing!  In all actuality, it might have just been defying all laws of physics and fabric manipulation... :-P  Instead of a direct recreation, Kathryn decided on a collar like my Fruit and Lemon dresses.  I combined a total of 3 patterns to get this blouse- Simplicity 3706 for the collar (with minor modifications), Simplicity 2154 for the body, and my own kimono-sleeve draft for the sleeve.


The blouse closes with pearl buttons.  The original inspiration has gold dots, but JoAnns only sells silver, so a gold dotty blouse will have to be another addition to her wardrobe at a later date. ;-)


All in all, it is a rather perfectly Parisian sort of outfit! :-)

Thanks for having such great taste that makes it so fun to sew for you, Kathryn!!



· Photos by Kathryn and her mom! ·

18 comments:

  1. Oh, so jealous! ;)
    I just love the outfit - simply tres chic! :D

    ~Michelle ^_^
    Delightful Handwork

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a gorgeous outfit you made, Lily!! It is perfectly suited to her and to the Parisian background, as you say! The spotted fabric is just gorgeous, and that skirt is perfect with it. Lovely, lovely job!
    I'll be catching up on the last couple posts of yours later - I have looked at them but not had time to comment! Believe me, only the most hectic of times prevents me from commenting on your lovely posts!
    Gorgeous outfit, Lily! Kathryn looks gorgeous as always.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a neat photo shoot!! At first I though the outfit was a replica of the outfit Audrey Hepburn wore in "Roman Holiday". : ) Maybe with a scarf it could be similar? Beautiful work as always! I love the blouse style.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh!! I like the scarf idea! :-) And thanks so much!

      Delete
  4. I love this! It's perfectly elegant and simple but super fashionable. Kathryn is lucky (not only for the trip to Paris but for the barter clothes you make her)!

    ReplyDelete
  5. SO amazing! It suits her extremely well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hehe, I knew EXACTLY what Hallmark card you were referring to without even opening the link ;) This is perfection, and how perfectly Parisian, too!

    xoxo,
    -Charlotte
    boyerfamilysingersblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a gorgeous outfit, you're so talented. :) I agree with what Sarah said above, the outfit and setting is very "Roman Holiday". I started working on an outfit for Christmas last year using that same Hallmark card for inspiration but I never finished it. Blah.
    -Emily

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! How funny that you are making an outfit inspired by that card, too! Except... it's really not that surprising after all- it is just the most adorable ensemble! I'd love to see yours when it's finished. :-)

      Delete
  8. How exquisitely lovely!!! I know the very greeting card that was the inspiration behind this enchantingly pretty outfit and that just makes me adore these photos and this ensemble all the more. :)

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  9. This ensemble is so fabulous!! Kathryne definitely looks like she stepped off of a Hallmark card:)
    -Madison
    www.1minniemuse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh what a gorgeous recreation of that card! I have always loved that outfit, and your interpretation is stunning Lily. And of course Kathryn looks gorgeous in it in front of the Eiffel Tower. :D

    Brigid
    the Middle Sister and Singer

    ReplyDelete
  11. Goodness what a backdrop! A stunning location to show off a gorgeous outfit! You've done a wonderful job once again Lily, and I think it's marvelous how you merged the patterns together to come up with such a pretty blouse. ❤

    xox,
    bonita of Lavender & Twill

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous outfit! You are a genius for being about to to construct it the way you did!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks so much everyone! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi, this is really a wonderfull outfit!! May I ask you something? Did you use a circle or a rectangle as pattern for the skirt?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Yasmine! It actually is neither- it's a slightly flared skirt that is pleated. If it helps, I used the skirt pieces from Simplicity 1459 and used pleats instead of gathering. I've used these skirt pieces on several different dresses- unfortunately the search feature on my blog doesn't seem to be working, but if you look around on here you can find some more examples of how it looks! :-)

      Delete
    2. Hi, thank you for your answer. I saw your other dresses, these are just wonderfull! :-)

      Delete

 

Copyright © 2013 Mode de Lis . All rights reserved. | Designed by PrairieRoseDesigns.com