Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Friday, September 15, 2017

· Basic Doesn't Have to Mean Boring ·


I've needed to expand the portion of my wardrobe devoted to basic blouses, but let's face it- white blouses get pushed to the back of the list when there are things like novelty prints to dive into!  I devoted a weekend to making a couple blouses and wouldn't you know- they are the most used items in my work wardrobe. Imagine that. ;-)


I had made a wearable mock-up of this pattern before and I was eager to whip up another version!  In order to keep this blouse from getting too boring, I used a nice vintage fabric with a woven stripe design.

Despite not being the *most* boring blouse of all time, there's still a limit to how much I can say about it.... so this will mainly be photos!



Side zipper! Not much else to say, haha!


I love the way the stripes echo the twist feature on this neckline!  The pattern is a vintage McCalls 3577 which was given to me by a former neighbor. The pattern came along with the pattern I used for my flamingo dress and Indian muslin dress- this woman's mother had excellent taste! (and even better- was my size!)



You might remember this skirt from my post last year- since remaking it into from its original state, it's seen a new lease on life!  I'm so glad I found a way to give this print the appreciation it deserves. :-)




While the blouse might live up to the title of this post, I'm not sure this post did.... but thanks for stopping by anyway! ;-)

· photos by the wonderful Kathryn! ·

20 comments:

  1. Ooooh, this is such a cute outfit, Lily! Simple but SO elegant and beautiful. Blouses really are so wearable and necessary, but like you say, we tend to not make them nearly enough!
    Lovely outfit, and so nice to see a post from you again! :) Have a wonderful weekend! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to hear from you again, Lily. Another wonderful outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Certainly not a boring blouse. I wish I could figure out how to do that lovley knot detail. I'm also in desperate need for some good blouses and a couple of practical skirts for work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Stina! It's pretty simple, although having a pattern to follow helps a lot! ;-)

      Delete
  4. What a lovely outfit. Great job.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh! love love love! This may sound a bit prying, but how much do you spend on fabric per outfit? I'm just beginning to scrape the surface of building a vintage-ish wardrobe and need all the help I can get!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No offense taken! :-) I try to keep my spending between $3-8/yd, with exceptions falling on either side of that. I've spent over a decade amassing fabric I loved when I saw it at low prices, so this is not a totally accurate view of what's common. You can expect to pay $5-10/yd with specialty fabrics/fibers closer to $12-15/yd. Skirts take 2-3 yds, blouses take 1.5-2.5 yds, dresses take anywhere from 2.5-4.5 yds. Misc notions, etc run about $5-10 per project. So you can do the math from there! :-)

      Sewing isn't a cheap hobby, but I think it's worth it! And then there are always times (like this blouse fabric!) when you're gifted fabric due to your reputation. ;-)

      Let me know if you have any more questions!

      Delete
    2. Thanks! That was helpful! : )

      Delete
  6. Adorable, as always! You manage to make even a white blouse look stylish!

    Best,
    Quinn

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it! I tend to favor simplicity in designs. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always want to sew the fun stuff too- but really it's the basics that get worn the most often! I love the twist detail on the blouse- it keeps it from being boring :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely, as usual - not a bit boring :)

    You don't know me, but I visit your blog occasionally and love the purity of your fashions. I first found your blog through Chronically Vintage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Hope! What a wonderful compliment! :-)

      Delete
  10. This outfit is totally fun and so not basic! The fabric of your skirt is so lovely and the belt and shoes totally set the whole thing off! You are so adorable!!!
    Blessings!
    g

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my but that skirt! The fabric is a beautiful design and reminds me of some of Fig Tree Co's designs. Beautiful! And the blouse is perfection with so much dimension with the twist of the fabric. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh and I am so glad to see you post on a blog. Instagram is good for pictures but can seem to lack a story and I like reading and stories, fiction and non-fiction of value. Thank you for a wonderful post!

    ReplyDelete

 

Copyright © 2013 Mode de Lis . All rights reserved. | Designed by PrairieRoseDesigns.com