Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Tuesday, April 10, 2018

· Keeping it Quiet ·


This outfit is quite a bit more subdued and quiet than my normal, but I love the play between brown and black and honestly, I'm surprised by how much I like wearing dark colors!  I've noticed this mood coming around every fall/winter and I've started sewing some things to accommodate it.  I used to scoff at the idea of wearing lots of black... now I'm starting to understand the allure!


I've always loved Simplicity 3673 and I made the flared skirt view several years back. This time around, I was looking for a more tailored secretarial look and we had just enough of this thick wool suiting left for a classic neutral jumper.

This project turned into such a warm, cozy outfit and I really do love this pattern!  It might be a bit over-represented in the vintage sewing community, but I think it's got enough redeeming qualities to earn its place as a classic. I really like the empire waist accented with the band, and a boat neck is universally flattering! The faux bow at the front is finished off with a vintage buckle.


This vintage double-strand necklace dresses up the outfit a little more than maybe it deserves- this jumper is so warm and cozy that it makes me feel like I'm wearing a vintage-styled, office-appropriate version of sweatpants.

Granted, it's been a loooong time since I've worn sweatpants.... so this notion is just a bit suspect. ;-)  The fact remains that it makes me feel like settling in with a good book!





More shoe clips! I feel like Marilyns are perfectly suited to shoe clips and I got both this set and my buckle pair at an antique mall last summer.  I'd never specifically looked for them before, but this makes me want to go on a little online shopping spree for more additions!



This vintage purse has become my standby- it's sturdy and it's just the right shape to hold massive amounts of things very efficiently so it doesn't look bulky!  Gum, sewing kit, tape measure, pad of paper, wallet, checkbook, pillbox, mirror, 4 colors of lipstick... you know, just the essentials. ;-)

Plus the black/brown combo makes it an ideal match with this ensemble!




· Photos by Kathryn ·

10 comments:

  1. I absolutely adore this outfit--spot on. I would wear it all the time too! That brown wool is delicious and the fitted version is wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A simple but stylish outfit - and it does look very comfortable!

    I just can't imagine you in sweatpants - in fact I can't remember seeing you in vintage slacks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is SO gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It looks so refined and professional, and you look fabulous in it! The bow clips on the Marilyns are TO DIE FOR, by the way. I must find some! I literally didn't even recognize the shoes under them. :) Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those shoes are so lovely with those clips! You set them off so nicely, I wish they came in smaller sizes! :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. This dress is so smart looking! I love the look of a fitting empire waist. It just looks so chic and sophisticated. Also, can we talk about this PURSE! My goodness! it is a work of art!!!

    xoxo
    -Janey

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a chic and stylish ensemble ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this! Thank you for the jumper inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Goodness, I love every outfit you post lately! (actually. . . always!) And this one is just perfection!
    I have this pattern, and have been thinking of making the full skirted version. It's so nice to see this pattern sewn up and "in action" rather than just on the pattern envelope.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like how simple and elegant your jumper dress and top look together, but for me it's really the accessories that make this look shine. Those shoe clips are nothing short of amazing, I really thought they belonged on your shoes! Plus, the necklace and handbag are gorgeous. Super lovely work.

    xox,
    bonita of Lavender & Twill

    ReplyDelete
  10. Now you know why I had such a narrow color palette when I was working! It's easy and looks polished!

    ReplyDelete

 

Copyright © 2013 Mode de Lis . All rights reserved. | Designed by PrairieRoseDesigns.com