Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Friday, August 11, 2017

· Cornflower Blue ·


A couple years ago, JoAnns carried a few lines of fabrics from Denise Schmidt that I was absolutely smitten with!  I made sure to snatch them up when I saw them on clearance, but, as in the case with this blouse- there was frequently only a yard or so left.  Perfect opportunity for a blouse!


I was inspired by a cute blouse from a movie set in the 1950s and I decided to use my trusty kimono-sleeve bodice sloper as the base.  Well, I'm not sure what the issues were... but man. This was one stinker of a project.  My basic pattern did not work AT ALL but I'm not one to give up without a major fight.  I beat it into submission and it's still not awesome... but it's passable. Good thing it has cute details and is fabric I love. ;-)



Target had the cutest flats this spring and I've been tickled pink with how well this color fits into my work wardrobe as well!
The blouse closes at the side with snaps.  I have been using zippers at the side of blouses without center front openings, but I'm not always sold on that- they can get so bulky feeling and the zipper pull can tend to be lumpy under skirts.  I decided to take a page out of pre-1940s sewing and try out a snap placket and it's been great!  I used snaps on a heavier-weight blouse as well, but that was a dismal failure.... so I still don't have a favorite method, haha!




I talked more in detail about this skirt over here- happy to have another blouse to wear with it!


The "bow" on this blouse is just a strip of fabric pinched in by a fabric tube in the middle.  I sewed the ends of the bow to the blouse, but left the sides free to keep the 3D effect.


Buttons on the shoulder add a fun touch and a little something to set it apart. Part of my woes with this blouse involved too little overlap and various other shoulder issues.  A few tweaks mid-project and a little extra grace.... and I'm safely to the other side and successful! ;-)

Do you find that you frequently change gears due to necessity?  I seem to have this happen to greater or lesser extent, but I think it's one of the reasons I love sewing- overcoming difficulties, challenges, and puzzles is right up my alley!  I usually find that I'm happier with the result than the initial idea as well!

· photos by the ever-amazing Kathryn! ·

23 comments:

  1. I love your blouse - such gorgeous colours and design.

    It tones well with your skirt - pockets in skirts are so useful so few of mine have them and I do miss pockets when I change from trousers into a skirt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rebecca, thanks! I do LOVE the pockets in this skirt! They're so massive! The 1950s really knew how to do capacious pockets in a fashionably dramatic way. ;-)

      Delete
  2. Such a gorgeous outfit!!!!! Absolutely love the blouse for sure - however much of a pain it was to make, it was worth it, because it's lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww thanks! It's always nice when the struggle actually ends in a victory. ;-)

      Delete
  3. What a darling top! Both the print and its cut! I love the gather at the neckline too!

    xoxo
    -Janey

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even if there were major issues during sewing the blouse, it is beautiful. And goes perfect with the skirt. And the buttons and the bow are sweet details

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the fabric and the details. That is one things I really love about vintage styles, all the neckline options. I can hardly find that in clothes now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! The attention to detail in vintage clothing is so inspiring!

      Delete
  6. I don't think I have ever had a project go perfectly as planned- overcoming challenges really is a part of sewing for oneself I think. I love this outfit of yours- the blouse is lovely (I really like that floral) but I am seriously in love with your skirt!!! It is the perfect shade of green, and pockets too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a gorgeous blouse, I love the buttons at the shoulders.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I love that departure from my "normal". :-)

      Delete
  8. What a gorgeous outfit. I love everything about this outfit.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my but this is beautiful and so well done! I am curious about the Denise Schmidt fabric for a blouse. Since I started making some quilt tops (have not gained skills to actually quilt mind you) and have seen Denise's fabric for quilts. Is this a medium weight quilting cotton that you used for the blouse? I want to sew some blouses with some of the quilting cotton and a skirt and I have hesitated due to the difference in a quilting cotton and a lawn type cotton. Just getting back to sewing clothes after a 13 year hiatus and back then I made heirloom dresses for my granddaughter. Sewing for children is so different than sewing for adults!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, sorry about the tardy response! Yes, this is a typical quilting cotton. I make most of my dresses from this and I've been pretty happy overall! I feel like quilting cotton as an apparel fabric gets a bad rap from so many people, but given the limited choices/high prices in apparel fabrics, I try to make the most of quilting cottons. ;-) A lot depends on your design choices, but good fitting and tidy sewing (which I'm sure you have after heirloom sewing!) will result in a great finished product. Best of luck! Let me know if you have any more questions. :-)

      Delete
  10. I love it! I shared it in my latest Favorites for Friday post! (link here) I hope that's okay, and I can take it down if it's a problem! :)

    Thanks for the cheerful outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I forgot the link to the post! Here it is! https://aglitteringjumbleoforder.blogspot.com/2017/09/favorites-for-friday.html

    Sorry about that!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love everything about this outfit! The colors, the print, the blouse design! <3

    ReplyDelete

 

Copyright © 2013 Mode de Lis . All rights reserved. | Designed by PrairieRoseDesigns.com