It feels like it's been ages since I shared a recent project with you all, and I have lots of new posts to share. :-)
It feels good to be back!
Kathryn, Tara, my sister, and I all came up with the idea to do themed visits together years ago. We first started out with the idea to do Decade themed get-togethers, but as of late, we tend to all stick to the 1950s so a new plan was in order! Two years ago we did our 1950s Polka Dot day, and we were originally going to do a 1950s Gingham Day last year but... ahem, I dropped the ball on that one. I am nothing if not incredibly indecisive and I could not, for the life of me, decide on the color and scale of gingham I wanted!
Fast forward an entire year, and I finally caught up with everyone. ;-)
What's that advice that your first choice is always correct and second guesses are a bad idea? I never really appreciated that admonishment (and honestly, it's often untrue for me), but in this case it was absolutely, perfectly spot-on. One of the first pins I ever found on Pinterest was the iconic 1950s dress that became the primary inspiration for this dress. After flip-flopping my way through the entire color wheel, I finally settled upon my original idea- the basic, potenially boring, but also completely versatile Black.
So, here's to shameless copying of original garments, embracing 1950s stereotypes, and not feeling obligated to constantly re-invent the wheel! ;-)
I was so pleased to have such a great opportunity to officially debut my Royal Vintage shoes! If you haven't heard of RV yet, Lauren (of American Duchess fame) started up a vintage shoe shop almost a year ago and it's such a great source to find lots of 1920s-40s appropriate shoe styles at competitive prices. She also runs a Rewards program which has already resulted in another pair of shoes for me... but those are for another post! ;-)
These are b.a.i.t. Loraines and while I was initially scared of the 4" heels, they were really just the sort of shoe that I was looking for to fill a gap in my wardrobe! They have a bit of a platform, so the heel is effectively 3.5". Still about 1/2" higher than my normal, but I've found these to be comfortable and easy to walk in, regardless. :-) I also kind of really love being 4" taller than normal. ;-D This color was precisely the shade of red I was needing- it's a very true tomato red without a hint of blue undertones. Yay!
*disclaimer- I am a brand ambassador and have an affiliate account with RV, so I have received these shoes at a discount and these are affiliate links but rest assured! that hasn't affected my review ;-)*
The first of two changes I intentionally made from the original dress was to continue the contrasting sash through the back of the skirt as well. I always think it's sad when the backs of dresses get neglected. :-(
The original dress has a full circle skirt, but I get pretty wary of those with our frequently gusty weather... I felt that the skirt decoration really needed a full circle to do it justice though, so fashion trumps practicality, yet again. ;-)
Time will tell how effective it really is, but I'm hoping that the added weight of the contrasting sash will help manage any breeziness. I also faced the hem with a 2" bias strip since that's my new favorite method of adding a nice weight/body to circle skirts! I'm sold so far. ;-)
My tried-and-true on-seam pocket. Couldn't live without these!
The contrast fabric is woven through buttonholes all around the skirt. I adore the idea of making colored sashes to change out for a completely new look! First on my list is coral. :-)
The other way I deviated from the original was to substitute a surplice bodice for the original. I wasn't completely sold on the original look and since it's been a long time since I've used Vogue 1043 (reprint), I felt that it was high time to use it again! I used that on 2 of my very first vintage dresses back when I started wearing vintage styles exclusively, so it's got a bit of a sentimental draw. ;-)
I'm not sure what's come over me lately, but I've been on a MAJOR pattern-matching kick lately. To the point where I was getting (more than usually) obsessive and needed to take a break so I didn't fry my brain. ;-P
I matched the skirt seams of course, but when it came to the bodice, there was just really no way to intentionally match up anything. I cut the front bodices on the bias as a design decision, but then it made seamless blending at the shoulder and side seams impossible. The only place I think I *might* have been able to match things is in the underarm gusset. It does look a bit "off" right now, but as my brain is currently taking a rest, I'm not about ready to jump into that challenge yet. ;-)
· Photos by the ever-delightful Kathryn! Thanks dear! ·