Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

· A Quintessentially 1930s Outfit for Kathryn ·


OK.  This outfit turned out to be absolutely fabulous!!

For our next installment in the "Decade Project", Kathryn, Tara, Gretel, and I needed 1930s outfits.  It took some convincing to get Kathryn and Tara onboard, but it was eventually successful!  Of course, then we haven't actually all been in the same place at the same time to have our party. :-P


In the meantime, Kathryn has a fun 1930s outfit to wear. :-)

She wasn't too sure about 30s styles last year when I started her outfit, so she chose a sweater and skirt to ease into the style.

(As for her other dresses, I make her fun clothes in exchange for the fabulous photographs she takes for this blog- such a great deal!!)

I was confident in my fabulous sweater re-fashioning skills, and confident to take on anything!
After this sweater, I think I'll be a bit more cautious next time. ;-)


Everything worked out well in the end, but a word to the wise- don't choose bulky cotton knits, if at all possible.  The waist seam was almost a disaster, but I found that stitching elastic to the seam after serging it helps keep the knit in place, looking good, and still stretchy enough to pull over the shoulders!


The skirt is based on one from a 30s ad- a basic skirt pattern (the 1980s had lots of wonderful 30s-appropriate skirt patterns!) was dressed up with some seaming details to keep the 1930s aesthetic.


It was Kathryn's first time doing finger waves, and I think it turned out charmingly! :-)  She is so, so suited to this decade!!  It's almost not fair.

Oh well.  I'll just live vicariously.


The V-neck sweater was dressed up with a rayon fabric detail.  Amazing how such a simple change makes such a huge difference!  


She's now reconciled to the 1930s and is eager for more.  I'm glad. :-D

24 comments:

  1. She looks just lovely, Lily! Her outfit is absolutely gorgeous - you did an amazing job! I love the skirt SO much, and the sweater is just perfect too! The 1930s definitely suit her well. Although - what doesn't? ;)
    I can't wait to see your ladies' outfits all together! I'm sure they will be splendid!
    Lovely job, Lily! Kathryn is very blessed to have such a talented friend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So chic! And, like you said, Kathryn looks too perfect in 1930s clothing!

    xo,
    -Charlotte
    boyerfamilysingersblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful colored sweater! It shines on Katherine, along with her smile. :)

    Best,
    Quinn

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're a genius! (Because only a genius could have taken my abhorrence of the 30's and transformed it into a near obsession...).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Lily, the ensemble you made is gorgeous! And the 1930s style suits Kathryn so perfectly, it's almost not fair! Now I really must try out the decade's styles for myself to see how I would look in them. :)

    Brigid
    the Middle Sister and Singer
    http://boyerfamilysingersblog.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should, Brigid! I'm pretty sure the 30s would look positively smashing on you, too! :-)

      Delete
  6. Such a stunning outfit! I love the colors. Kathryn does look perfect in this era of clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay, I'm not a fan of the 30's fashion either - but this outfit is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I love this outfit! I have a major sweater weakness :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. So, so cute! I love '30s fashion.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow. She pulls that outfit off A.M.A.Z.I.N.G.L.Y!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW!!! This is lovely! I am so into the 1930's and you did an amazing job on this outfit. I would love a tutorial on how the hair was done. The skirt is fabulous! Again GREAT job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah, I don't have a tutorial in the works *yet*, but I'll keep that in mind! Thanks! :-)

      Delete
  12. Oh my, she does look good in that era! (Lucky duck!)
    I bet that sweater was a booger to sew. I hate sewing knits. (On the machine that is. I obviously have to hand sew together my knitted clothing.)
    Her hair turned out so perfectly too. (Double luck duck!)
    I can hardly wait 'til you all finally do get together to do your 30s day. Y'all need to get on that. ;) tee hee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heehee! Yeah... you're actually not the first person to get on our case about not doing "1930s Day" yet... :-P I guess you could say that we need the encouragement. ;-)

      Delete
  13. Thanks for another lovely and inspiring sewing post, Lily! I have to get sewing real soon (I hope to make an Easter frock :-))!
    God bless
    +JMJ+
    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  14. That sweater looks fantastic!! Now to read all of your Kathryn posts....

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just keep coming back to this post. She looks fabulous -- and so does her outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Please tell me how you made the striped rayon fabric detail! I woud love to try and do it myself. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! I'm afraid I don't have many tips for replicating this... I just played around with different shapes and draping techniques until I found something that worked well! It is one long piece that tapers wider on each end and has angled edges. There is a slit in one side where the other end comes through. Hope this helps a bit! :-)

      Delete
  17. You ladies are too cute! I love everything about this outfit on Kathryn! Great job as always Lily!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my goodness, the 30s was just made for her! You did a fabulous job on that outfit.

    ReplyDelete

 

Copyright © 2013 Mode de Lis . All rights reserved. | Designed by PrairieRoseDesigns.com