Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Wednesday, December 3, 2014

· Hair Cut! ·


Well, this post has been 3 months in the writing, but it's finally here. ;-)

I got my hair cut!!!

I've been toying with the idea of getting a vintage cut for almost 2 years now, and through the influence of my mom, my sister, and Call the Midwife, I finally made the plunge!  It's been almost 3 months since I did it, and I'm still thrilled that I finally worked up the courage to do this!


Before and after on the day of the cut!

I've had long hair for over 15 years, and in the last 8, I've worn it "up" almost exclusively.  This was my first time getting my hair layered, and I used a vintage cutting diagram for a "middy plus"- getting it cut just like the diagram with the exception of making the layers 6" long.  Let me tell you- it's sooooo much different!  Actually, it's kind of funny to think back to how different it felt, because it already seems so normal. ;-)


Since this was my first time doing a drastic haircut like this, I really wasn't sure what I wanted so we just went with the straight-up diagram.  Now that I've lived with it for a while, I think I might do it a bit differently next time.  It's just sooooo layered in the back!  The top layers seem too short to me, so I think I'll do those longer next time.  Also, 6 inches seems so long for the front!  It doesn't help that I started at about 18" before, but I do think it's a bit limiting.  That's the benefit to hair growth though, it only gets longer! ;-)


One of my reasons for putting this off so long was because I wasn't sure I'd really be able to commit to pin-curling my hair every night.  I knew I wanted it short enough that I wasn't tempted to do my typical rolled hairstyle as an easier fall-back, so with the exception of a handful of times, I've pin-curled it every single night.  And it's a lot less arduous than I was fearing. ;-)  I've got it down to 15 minutes, and the muscle memory has kicked in and helps immensely!!

Over the last 3 months, I've been able to figure out what works and what doesn't, so now I know that my hair holds curl *really* well after pin-curling, but ONLY in dry weather.  The humidity of September was rather discouraging, but I'm loving November and December!!  I start with dry hair and slightly dampen with setting lotion on the first night, and all subsequent nights just use water for dampening.  I haven't played around with many setting patterns yet, but I feel like I've finally almost conquered this set.


Back in the humidity when the curl didn't hold as well as I'd like, I took to wearing an invisible hairnet.  It worked really well, and I loved it!  But these pictures mark a momentous occasion- my first week to successfully not wear the hairnet!  I have some OCD tendencies at times, and I've been trying to break myself of some of the odder ones.  Like wearing sandals- I do.not. like the feel of anything on my bare feet except for socks.  It takes great effort to not wear socks year-round, but I felt like that was something I needed to let go.  So too, wearing my hair down.  Ugh, I really hate not having every hair *just so*.  I don't like the unpredictability that comes with wind, grabbing babies, rain, bad hair days, etc.  And the feel of hair on my neck/shoulders/face....!  AGH!  But I also really hate being limited by this silly obsession.  Enter: Hair cut.  I'll just force myself to get over it. ;-D  The hairnet was also a great transition step, since it was technically down, but also completely contained and mostly impervious to messing up.  The hairnet still works well for bad hair days, but as long as this dry weather lasts and good hair days allow, I'll be stretching my comfort zone. ;-)

One of the things I've been most excited about is finally being able to wear all of our vintage hats!  My previous style worked well for most of them, but there were several (this furry confection included!) that just didn't work before.  Problem solved. :-)

All in all, I'm so glad I finally did this!  I still have so far to go, but I'm excited to be on the way to reaching my goals!

· Photos by Kathryn! ·

20 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness. Your hair is perfect!!! It is absolutely beautiful!! I need to get my hair cut like this - it's at this horrible middle length right now that I can't do a thing with.
    Congratulations on taking the plunge!! You look positively lovely with your new cut!
    (Can I have that hat???) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just cut my hair shorter too, and it IS a big difference! I did a straight bob, though, and I think after I let it grow out a bit I'll refer to the diagram you have up there. It's so adorable, and it seems like it will fix the issues I'm having now. I think longer layers may work better for me, too. How do you even pin curl hair that short on the first layer?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emileigh, I look forward to seeing your cut, if you end up going that route! :-) I've been increasingly more happy with mine as it grows! (or as I learn how to corral it into submission- still not sure which is the reason... ;-))

      Delete
  3. Super amazing! Good for you for trying out a hair cut with layers yourself -- I've been doing my own haircuts for a year, but just simple trims. Brave!

    p.s. I've been reading for a while but never commented. I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kira, Welcome! (to the commenting side, anyway! :-)) I'm so glad you've enjoyed visiting, but even more thrilled that you commented! Hearing from my readers is the very best part of blogging. :-)

      Oh, and I should clarify- I went to a salon for the cut, rather than doing it myself. I don't know if I'd ever feel confident enough for that!

      Delete
  4. You. Are. Brave, Lily. ;) And it's beautiful!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH! It is so cute Lily! It looks lovely on you!

    Blessings,

    Brigid
    the Middle Sister and Singer

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks very beautiful, Lily! My pin-curls never turn out looking that nice! :) I admire your bravery for cutting your hair!
    I have actually been thinking about cutting my hair so that my hair will look more 40's when I pin-curl it, (I have been thinking about pin-curling it every night); but it has taken me so long to grow it out that I think I will just have to put up with having longer hair than most women did back then! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Louisa! I'd highly recommend pin-curling! I am so very pleased with how it's been going, although it might take you longer to pin curl and dry when it's longer. Best of luck for your hair endeavors! :-)

      Delete
  7. Love your new hair cut. Your new hair styling is so good! I wish my hair looked half as good as yours but hair is so hard for me! At least I get to look at all your beautiful hair stylings! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thanks! :-) And I do understand about being hair challenged- I feel very much like that, which is why I tend to only have 1 style at a time. ;-) At that rate, I get practice every single day and eventually (in a couple months.... :-P) I finally feel like I've got the feel for it!

      Delete
  8. Oh I ADORE Call the Midwife!! I watch/listen to it while I sew. You have achieved the perfect hair style for that era! Yay you and you look so beautiful! The new do suits you very well!! What fun!
    Blessings!
    Gina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gina! Glad to find another CtM fan! :-)

      Delete
  9. Adore this cut on you, your hair looks so super. And good on you for doing the brave thing and 'letting it go' as it were. :) I just got my hair cut to a shorter length middy, but with a longer top layer - and I've been loving it. ❤

    xox,
    bonita of Lavender & Twill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bonita! I'm so glad I just took the plunge. :-)

      Delete

 

Copyright © 2013 Mode de Lis . All rights reserved. | Designed by PrairieRoseDesigns.com