Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Saturday, March 15, 2014

· Navy 1950s Dress for Kathryn ·


As you may recall, Kathryn and I have a deal worked out about my blog- she does my website design and photography, not to mention the ambitious undertaking of Encourager and Motivator, and in turn, I make her vintage dresses.  It is the best sort of business arrangement, because we both feel like we're getting the better deal!  But really- my side of the bargain is the best.  And I hope no one ever makes her a more tempting offer. ;-)

This dress was the result of my visit last November.  It is made from navy blue moleskin, and I used Butterick 5707 (out of print now- I'm sad I didn't pick up my own copy!).


And yes, I have the prettiest friends.

With the prettiest hair.

I want to be Asian someday.


I was a bit wary about using moleskin fabric for a vintage dress, but it really works well, has a great drape and body, and looks very classy. :-)  This simple dress is finished off with a self-fabric belt.


The neckline has small pleats on the shoulders and the keyhole neckline has a fabric tie for interest.


Kathryn pulls off this sophisticated look so effortlessly.  I'm jealous. ;-)

I feel kind of funny not having a hugely long post about this dress, but I have been getting dreadfully verbose lately!  And in reality- it was just so simple to put together!  Kathryn was so easy to work with, and I'm looking forward to showing you more pictures of the next dresses I've made! (well, and am in the process of making.... ;-))

15 comments:

  1. What a beautiful dress! Kathryn looks very well in the sophisticated style.

    Brigid
    the Middle Sister and Singer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful dress! Sad this pattern is out of print!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw! It sounds like you two have so much fun.
    That's a pretty dress and overall look, i love it!
    Keep up the great work ladies :)

    ~Abigail
    http://sweetergetsthejourneyblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes! We most certainly do have grand times together!! :-)

      Delete
  4. I love this dress! Now I wish I had the pattern to make it... I guess I'll have to do some good snooping online to see if I can find anything (I'll let you know if I do!).

    ReplyDelete
  5. What luck! I just went to Etsy and found a whole bunch of them for sale! Some of them are even new and uncut! Here's the link to the search I did:
    http://www.etsy.com/search?q=Butterick%205707&ship_to=US
    You may have to weed through some other patterns that used to have that same number but I'm sure you won't mind that if you can find what you're looking for. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fabulous, thanks! :-) And I'd love to see pictures if you end up making it!

      Delete
  6. That color is smashing on Kathryn! Simply lovely - that neckline to fabulous. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh this dress is so very beautiful! The color is stunning...and the hair style on Kathryn is perfection! What a marvelous 1950s vision she presents!

    Blessings!
    Gina

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it!!!! That is such a great deal!! I am so with you because the computer and blogging is not really my thing, But unlike you I don't have such a great friend to make such a bargain with!=) And Kathryn is just BEAUTIFUL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So beautiful!! You definitely do have beautiful friends. Lovely, lovely dress!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The dress looks so elegant (and your friend too)! The bow-like neckline is a wonderful idea, it looks not too girly but, as you said, sophisticated.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love my dress!! I get so many compliments on it. Thanks for the pretty hairdo! You made me look so cute. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you all so much! It's a rather nice change to be able to admire my work on someone else! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. My sister is so pretty!! And that dress is just perfect on her. Awesome work, as always, Lily!! :)

    ReplyDelete

 

Copyright © 2013 Mode de Lis . All rights reserved. | Designed by PrairieRoseDesigns.com