Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Saturday, March 29, 2014

· Friends and Relations ·


One thing that has (shamefully!) yet to make an appearance on my blog is one of my other collections- vintage fur. :-)

About a year and a half ago, I realized that my wardrobe was sadly lacking in the soft, fluffy, and oh-so-quintessentially-vintage department and determined to keep my eyes open while antiquing.  I must have chosen a good time to start, because my first day shopping resulted in this stole and collar, as well as one more collar!

While our area is too rural for frequent vintage clothing finds, it does boast frequent opportunities for very affordable furs! :-) (One of the reasons I love those old stores- when you do come across something amazing, it's usually very cheap!) Consequently, I have quite the collection going...  But really - fur collars add so much to an outfit, and they're so very versatile!  What started out as a simple idea of owning 1 or 2 pieces of fur has now become an obsession of giving every piece of fur I find a loving home. :-)  Over the past few months, I've had to reign myself in a bit.  So now only the very lowest of prices are an inducement for purchasing.  A sad day.


This stole is made from 4 pelts, and one of the "mouths" has a clip to attach it to any other part of the stole.


Just two of the many different ways this stole can be worn!  The version on the right was my "style of choice" for the '13-'14 year. ;-)


The cord-covered snaps attach to the stole with a plastic (bakelite?) chain.


This quirky fur hat seemed just the right touch for the ensemble. ;-)

Oh, and the title of this post comes from my name for this stole.  Shortly before I purchased this, one of my friends was gifted a single mink pelt.  She didn't know much what to do with it other than give it a name- so it was christened "Twinky".  Once I purchased my stole, it seemed only natural to refer to it jokingly as "Twinky's friends and relations".  The name stuck, however, and it is now commonly known by the title "Friends and Relations". :-)  My other furs are currently unnamed, and I intend on keeping it that way. ;-)


This is a super fun fur collar that I also got the first day!  I was intrigued by the unique shape and the potential for versatility! :-)  Each of the ends of the collar has either a hook or a loop, so you can mix and match which ones you want to fasten (or all 4 at once!).  On the left, I have it asymmetrically fastened, on the right, the lower two are fastened.


Asymmetrically was my favorite way to wear this collar in the '12-'13 year. ;-)

I've become quite sold on wearing fur!  It is sooo warm- these 3/4 length sleeved dresses are now officially warm enough to be "winter approved" with the addition of a fur stole or collar!  And it's sooo soft.....  I'll be sad to see April come, which is my self-imposed curfew on fur-wearing.  Come October, I'll be more than ready to get them all back out again!!

· Photography by Kathryn ·

20 comments:

  1. Up until now I have been scared to death of mink stoles, but now I want one! They really do look wonderfully vintage. I love their name too! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe!! Yes, I used to be rather frightened of those minks, too. But seeing how they look with the whole outfit has won me over. ;-) I'm glad I could inspire you!

      Delete
  2. these are so very pretty.
    ive always been a fan of vintage fur. i love the way you wore the collar with the brown dress. that is just sooooo pretty.
    your hairstyle is also very cute!

    ~Abigail
    http://sweetergetsthejourneyblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. So lovely! Which vintage/antique shops are your favorite? I have quite a list of vintage items I would like to purchase, but rarely can afford the pretty things I see at the shops on our town square. =(
    I'd love to own a few nice vintage hats, luggage, and maybe even a typewriter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Samantha! I'll have to send you a message with some of our favorite haunts. :-)

      Delete
  4. Oooh! I adore vintage furs and yours are so lovely! I love the brown collar with your brown dress...Congratulations on your fabulous finds!!!

    Blessings!
    g

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lily
    Love all your beautiful outfits! You are an amazing seamstress . I think that one of the best talent to have today is that of sewing, considering what they sell in the stores today ��. I was wondering, where do you wear your beautiful outfits? I wear a skirt with flat shoes and people ask me why I'm dressed up.
    Sad world we live in with the state of dress these days , (sigh) always looking forward to your posts! Thank you for showing!
    Irene

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Irene, thank you for your sweet comment! :-)

      I wear most of these outfits on a daily basis, except for the most dressy (furs and silk)- those are reserved for church on Sundays. :-) I have gotten away from wearing the historical (pre-1900) clothes on a regular basis. Those are now just worn for special events/balls. Like you said- even wearing a simple skirt will garner comments, so we just dress up in the clothes we like best and make the most of it!

      Delete
  6. Your "Friends and Relations" stole was the very first fur stole I ever owned! Mine has long since been tattered and was eventually donated to Coats for Cubs, but I still love me some fur! Like you, I name mine, my favorites being Earnest and Algernon, my two foxes!

    xoxo
    -Janey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I greatly admire your fox stoles! I'm hoping that a fox stole is waiting for me sometime soon! ;-)

      Delete
  7. What gorgeous furs! The second one is my favorite, and that brown dress is to die for! What pattern did you make it from??? I have yet, sadly, to add any furs to my collection. I need to improve that aspect of my wardrobe over the next few months before fall returns. :)

    Brigid
    the Middle Sister and Singer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brigid! The dress is a compilation of 3 different patterns. ;-) It was one of my very favorites for years, but it's now too faded to wear. :-/ I'm not sure whether to make an identical copy, or try something a bit different!

      Delete
  8. I f I lived close to you you would probably be missing half the things from you closet! =) I love your style! The furs look great on you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Lily! I would like to award you the Liebster Award!
    http://beauty4ashes7.blogspot.com/2014/04/liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gina,

      Thank you so much! I am so honored. :-) With my recent increase in busy-ness, I'm unable to post about this, and I'm sorry. Thank you again!

      Delete
    2. That is totally fine! I just wanted to recognize you and your blog...it is faaaabulous!
      Blessings!
      g

      Delete

 

Copyright © 2013 Mode de Lis . All rights reserved. | Designed by PrairieRoseDesigns.com