Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Wednesday, March 8, 2017

· Estate Sale Score! ·


My apologies for neglecting this blog of late!  Life has been a new kind of busy lately and I'm still working on settling into the new normal :-)  I've had several posts waiting in my drafts folder and I'm super excited to share them!  Of course, I've been enjoying the anticipation of sharing these for the past few months, but that only does so much for you...  This post has been waiting too long to share, but in my defense- it's only just now seasonally appropriate again. ;-)


This was one of our very first vintage dresses that actually *fit*!  We happened upon it at our first estate sale and didn't have the opportunity to try it on before purchasing, but it ended up fitting like a glove. :-)  We've picked up several vintage pieces that we can wear in the past couple years and like I've said before, it really has had a big impact on my personal style and mental process of creating new garments.

It's also funny what I'll wear for the sake of vintage- I'm really not a big fan of navy.  I've never been fond of it and I don't think it's a good color for me.  It's something I'm definitely willing to overlook in the cause of wearing an amazing and fun 1940s dress though!


This dress was also one of my first steps towards building up a tolerance for high, high necklines.  Oh, the mid-century love of choke-y necklines!  I've become quite adjusted to them by now, thankfully. ;-)

Can we just take a moment and admire that awesome neckline?!!  I think it's so clever to use just the smallest hints of a contrasting color to add interest to this dress and the zig-zag neckline gets major cool points in my book.  The overall styling of the dress is just enough different from my usual designs that it is a great inspiration to think outside of my usual rut!


GAH. Miss L Fire wins again.

These great shoes were a purchase from Royal Vintage last year, although they're out of stock now. :-(  RV has more Miss L Fire styles in stock, and the detailing of them is always superb!  I adore the shape of these and that little curlicue is the icing on the cake!


My only caveat is that I think MLF's peep-toe styles fit me better than the closed toe...  These shoes don't live up to an all-day outing, but that just means I have all the more reason to wear them on partial-day outings. ;-)


And then vintage dresses have funny little quirks like this!  A back neck zipper, 5" of seam, then a back waist zipper.  This is a subject I'm pretty ignorant on- anyone know why they did that?  I always thought it was because a zipper going all the way down a back seam ends up bubbling due to the extra bit of bodice length for ease.  Is that true?  I've come across long vintage zippers before, so I don't think that was the deciding factor.  Pipe up if you have any insight!! :-)




Since I don't gravitate towards navy or maroon, I didn't have any accessories in those colors.  I do have lots of black, though!  This 1940s hat was a surprise find at an antique store when I was least expecting it, but it's become such a staple for my 40s looks! 


Sweet scalloped gloves!  And also- why do I ever wear black?? So. Much. Lint. :-P


Until I had this dress, I was under the impression that peplums and larger hips didn't go well together.  Now that I've dispelled that notion, and I'm excited about the options that have opened up! :-)


Dramatic vintage poses are always a good idea.  Until you're posing in front of a public building and then discover that you've attracted an audience of spectators inside.

Ahem. I may or may not have this experience frequently during photoshoots... "Carry on! Nothing to see here!"  Just yet another chapter in The Awkward Life of Lily. ;-)

· photos, as ever, by the remarkable Kathryn! ·

*I received my shoes at a discount in exchange for posting online and all links to RV are affiliates- thanks for helping me indulge my love of shoes! ;-)

28 comments:

  1. I wonder if the double zipper, has to do with the lengths available at the time. I am assuming that a 5" would have been the standard size for men's pants, therefore more common. This is just a guess though. Amazing find! Looks great on you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stunning! Luuuv that maroon neckline accent (not sure just what to call it:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my!!! This dress is amazing and looks to be in wonderful condition. Cheers to you!!

    Still swooning...

    I actually love navy garments. They're like a 'casual' alternative to black. :D I personally think the navy and maroon look great on you - but perhaps I'm just biased towards my love of navy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe! Thanks! And I think these photos do give a much more flattering impression of the suitability of navy to my complexion than it actually bears in person... but I'm not complaining! ;-)

      Delete
  4. Beautiful bit of vintage styling here! X

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, this is a stunning dress, Lily...what a find! I love navy...it has grown on me considerably over the years and find it also works for me... I love the bit of maroon which breaks the navy ever so elegantly... You are very stylish and I think it would make my day to see you and the talented Kathryn doing a vintage photoshoot! {{smiles}}
    Lovely to visit with you this morning...thank you for the delightful inspiration you share!
    Hugs,
    Kelly-Anne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my word, that dress is amazing! All those quirky details are just incredible, I love the neckline so much. It looks absolutely stunning on you too, as if it was made for you. I think you really suit navy. Apart from the hair you're a pretty similar colouring to me and it's one of the best colours for me. In fact, my mum dressed me in navy as a baby! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cate, thanks so much! In person, navy really doesn't do much for me at all- but I'm so glad that these photos show it as being much more flattering. :-)

      Delete
  7. I love this dress and have to agree that navy looks fine on you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, I really like this dress! I've never been a big fan of peplums, but I have to say it really looks nice on this dress! Definitely some great design inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This outfit is amazing! I don't know about the zipper. Maybe the seamstress was just trying to work out of her stash, haha?

    Also, your town has the BEST doors. You always have amazing doors behind you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, love that stash idea! I've found myself doing many more "cobbling" sorts of things lately- after all, make do with what you have, right? ;-)

      Yes, I agree! When I first started the blog, I was convinced that I lived in an area devoid of all interesting architecture, but this blog has been a great way for me to really take note of what's in the area! There are so many gems I never knew about. <3

      Delete
  10. Absolutely beautiful find and it does fit you perfectly! I love how you have paired it with black too. Your styling is spot on.
    The background of these pictures is perfect too- so glad you endured the stares of curious onlookers in order to get the photos :)
    The Artyologist

    ReplyDelete
  11. That entire outfit is gorgeous. Thank you for sharing your finds.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  12. How wonderful to find a vintage dress that fits you so perfectly and looks so great on you too! Lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is amazing! 😻 What a find! And it appears to be in excellent condition! Usually vintage dresses look like they've been through the wringer. Literally. 😉

    I've always heard that peplums are supposed to flatter bigger um...hips. In any case it looks fab on you. 😄

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle! It really is in such great condition- there are a few pin holes here and there, but when the dress is this epic, it's easy to overlook them. ;-)

      Delete
  14. I know you said you're not the biggest fan of navy, but this is really lovely on you! It's softer than black, but still has that kind of powerful feeling to it, I think. I love the burgundy details, that color combination is one of my favorites. All in all, an amazing find!
    Zella Maybe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jessica! I love that way of thinking about navy- almost convinces me to love it, too!

      Delete
  15. Haha, I love the dramatic poses! And having an unintended audience is something I can relate to in photo shoots as well... :) I think the peplum looks great on you!

    Best,
    Quinn

    ReplyDelete
  16. I adore this dress! What a unique neckline too!

    xoxo
    -Janey

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gorgeous dress! What an amazing find! I really adore the cut of this piece!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful, as always. Also, LOVE this dress. On you, and just well...because it's great.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The dress is unusual and beautiful on you! I think the two zippers just might be for ease of dressing by ones self. Notice that where the back is solid is the hardest place to zip!
    Regards,
    Scotia

    ReplyDelete

 

Copyright © 2013 Mode de Lis . All rights reserved. | Designed by PrairieRoseDesigns.com