Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Saturday, October 4, 2014

· Kathryn's Maroon Dress ·


Last weekend, we traveled down to TN with Kathryn to attend the Remembering WWII event down in Linden.  It was a blast, and I look forward to sharing more about it later!  For now, here's a post on the dress Kathryn wore to the event. :-)

This is the second version of Simplicity 1587 that I made Kathryn (first one is over here!), and we made a few slight tweaks to the fit on this one to get the shoulders to fit better. :-)

Also, Kathryn wanted a 6-gore skirt on this one instead.  


The dress is made from a maroon rayon fabric that Kathryn found at a local quilt shop that was going out of business and snagged it for just $2/yd!


Elasticized shirring on the sleeves

Ugh, and her hair!!!  I really want to be Asian. ;-)


The dress features a pleated yoke with a decorative bow, and closes on the side with a zipper and the back neck has a keyhole opening.


Kathryn says this is her favorite 1940s dress so far, and I can see why! :-)

This pattern looks so cute no matter what fabric is used!!
(Well, it doesn't hurt that Kathryn can pull off the 1940s so well! ;-))

22 comments:

  1. Great job, Lily! That color is smashing on Kathryn. I'm fond of that pattern too! I bought some cute old feed sacks on etsy & I'm planning on making this dress with them. :) Ugh! I'm jealous of those gorgeous tresses as well! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds so cute! Hope it turns out well for you! :-)

      Delete
  2. So pretty! I find yoked dresses to be one of my favorite styles from that era. And the color complements her so well, lovely! You never cease to amaze me :)
    ~Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  3. *happy, happy, happy* I find myself scheming 1940s parties exclusively for the purpose of wearing this dress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And also... I'm pretty sure that I went to TN with you, not the other way around... :-)

      Delete
    2. OK, OK.... "We went down to TN with Kathryn *in tow*." There- is that better? ;-)

      Delete
    3. It is certainly a more accurate way to phrase it. ;-)

      Delete
  4. Beautiful dress! The color is perfection!

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sarah! Yes, that color is marvelous on her, isn't it?!

      Delete
  5. I remember her shoes from an earlier post; where did she get them (they are gorgeous)? I want to try a tie neck pattern, but I need more of a scoop neck to flatter me; do you have any pattern suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Livia, her shoes are Aris Allens- http://www.dancestore.com/8080-BR-aris-allen-womens-brown-faux-suede-three-buckle-heeled-dance-shoe.aspx

      Would something like this be more like what you have in mind? I realize it's not technically a tie neck, though... http://www.pinterest.com/pin/83387030576407741/

      Delete
  6. That is such a beautiful dress! She definitely can do the 1940s very well. I am starting this very dress today, so we'll see how it goes!!
    Lovely job, as always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Esther! Hope it turns out well for you! :-)

      Delete
  7. Amazing. I like the color, it complements her very well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. AWESOME!!!! You girls inspire me so much! I just wish I had more time for sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is gorgeous! I especially love the sleeve detail! Also your hair is marvelous!!!

    xoxo
    -Janey

    ReplyDelete
  10. I made dresses for my daughter and me from this pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is such a beautiful dress and Kathryn fits right in when it comes to 1940's attire. I'm about to tackle this dress myself, and I was wondering if you could give any advice on altering the shoulders as I've read other people had to do the same- also, any tips on changing the skirt to six gore?

    Warmest,
    Ali xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ali,

      I'm so sorry about the delay in responding to you! Kathryn has very square shoulders, so the pattern fit her beautifully. I have rather sloped shoulders myself so when I made one, I added shoulder pads to achieve a flattering look. I had tried a previous version where I altered the pattern and was not pleased with the result... I hope you can find a good solution for yours! :-)

      For the skirt- we just used a completely different 1940s pattern rather than altering the Simplicity pattern.

      Let me know if you have any more questions!

      Delete

 

Copyright © 2013 Mode de Lis . All rights reserved. | Designed by PrairieRoseDesigns.com