Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Saturday, January 11, 2014

Sweater Re-Fashion · 1930s Style


This sweater was a fun re-fashioning challenge!  I loved the color of this sweater I found a few years ago, but it was so plain, and really didn't fit in with the vintage wardrobe I was trying to emulate.

So, I looked for some 30s inspiration to add interest.  I didn't have my collection of books back then and it was pre-Pinterest, so I turned to our handy collection of movies made in the early 1990s and set in the 30s. :-)  Early Poirot movies, Jeeves and Wooster, and Campion all have fairly accurate and inspiring styles.  The Poirot movies in particular are my favorite- the range of characters goes everywhere from lower-middle class up to the very height of fashion, and there are lots and lots of episodes to draw ideas from. ;-)


I made the collar from a mid-weight linen and traced off the neckline to get the right shape.  I cut out the collar, roll-hemmed the edge, and finished off the neck edge with bias tape and sewed it just inside the neck edge.  The triangle piece on the neckline was originally part of the sweater.  The front detail is 2 pieces cut on the straight grain, roll-hemmed, and kept in place with a fabric "tab".


The fit of the sweater and the length of my skirt remind me a lot of styles from 1930-32.  The downside is that it looks a bit 20s to some folks....  I had one older, very well meaning gentleman call me "flapper girl". *sigh*  I guess that is what comes from finger waves...


A tabbed detail on the skirt adds interest and is a great place to use more buttons- one can never have too many buttons in an outfit. ;-)


These Clark shoes are my very favorites- so comfortable and practical!  I swapped the traditional shoelaces for ribbons in a fit of "Pinterest emulation".  Please overlook the fact that they're in dire need of polishing.... ;-)

This sweater was a great place to showcase this adorable vintage "Hershey's kiss" button we had!

· Picture credit to Kathryn! ·

19 comments:

  1. Love this refashion! So cute!

    And don't feel bad about the 20s comment. I get it all the time when I'm in full on 1950s with a giant crinoline! It's just a decade people know of so that's what they say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! :-)

      Oh, that is funny! I think the oddest comment, time-period-wise, was an older man complementing me on my "Civil War" clothing when I was in very distinctively 50s attire! Considering he was alive back then, I just took the complement with smile and nod. :-)

      Delete
  2. Cutest neckline embellishment ever!! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely LOVE your outfit, and this refashion! What a great way to make a piece more vintage and 30's to boot! I think your outfit looks very 30's, by the way. :)

    Brigid
    the Middle Sister and Singer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Brigid! :-) I'm rather pleased with how it turned out!

      Delete
  4. It's so lovely! My favorite time period. I'm sure it's due to all that "Jeeves & Wooster" when I was a girl. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, Jeeves and Wooster had a lot to do with my love of the 30s. :-) I used to utterly loathe the idea of all 30s clothing- funny how times change!

      Delete
  5. Lovely outfit! Did you sew your skirt too? If yes, would you mind sharing what pattern it is? : ) It is a very flattering style.

    -Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sarah! :-) Yes, I made my skirt and used an old 80s pattern- Butterick 3083.

      Delete
  6. So very inspiring! Now I'm wanting to visit the thrift store to find a sweater to re-style! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to see your results- it's very addicting! ;-)

      Delete
  7. This is just too cute for words. I love it. I'm just in continued awe at how creatively you can see the plainest of pieces and imagine something so adorable out of them! :-)

    By the way, have you see the "Wind at My Back" series? Very cute, and a most excellent and fun frolic into mid-1930s fashion!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thanks Rebecca. :-) I will most definitely have to check out that series!

      Delete
  8. Lily, you are an inspiration, and I am always eager to see your posts. Found your blog through Kathryn and Tara's blogs. You give me the sewing bug and I'd love to whip out an outfit from every era thanks to you. :) Love your 30's hair too. Would you consider doing an occasional hair tutorial?
    Blessings! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your sweet comment, Allison! It's so nice to hear from my readers. :-)

      As far as a tutorial goes, I don't have any planned currently, but I will keep that idea in mind. Thanks for the suggestion!

      Delete
  9. Hi there Lily! Thanks for the great inspiration for that sweater I've got up stairs-- can't wait to try this! Love your shoes, by the way. Such a lovely pair of pumps without having too tall of a heel. I'd love to get a pair myself. Could you point me in the right direction.. ie. what style yours are?
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mia! :-) My shoes are oxford heels; I'm not sure of the style name, but the brand is Clarks. They are SUPER comfortable, the heel is wide enough to be very stable and good for multiple terrains, and I find that they're even more practical than flats since they keep my feet up out of all the slush and snow in winter. :-) In short, I can't recommend them enough. ;-) I got them a few years ago, and I haven't been able to find this exact style online, but there are lots of similar options available in many brands now!

      Delete
  10. This is so pretty! I am so impressed with your sewing.... I have to say none of my efforts have ever been this successful!

    Blessings,
    Amy Jo

    ReplyDelete

 

Copyright © 2013 Mode de Lis . All rights reserved. | Designed by PrairieRoseDesigns.com