For our trip to Williamsburg this spring, Mom and Gretel wanted some new clothes, so we got out all the period-appropriate scraps we could find big enough to make into jackets. While I was in the stash, I came across this hand-block-printed lawn that was left-over from a regency dress I made years ago. It was a perfect size for a jacket, and once I found my inspiration, I set to work. I constructed it entirely by hand (just 'cause I can! ;-) ), and used the JP Ryan pattern as a base, modifying the neckline and waistline.
The sleeve inspiration came from a V&A dress that I've been admiring for years. It has a cuff edged with pleated trim, then looped up in front and fastened with a covered button.
I wanted this jacket to stand out somehow from all my others, so I put 6 sets of ribbons down the front to tie it closed. I love the over-exuberance of ribbony-ness that is the result. :-) The front neckline and waistline is edged with pleated trim.
· Pictures by the inimitable Kathryn! ·